Sunday, May 12, 2013

Kettlebell workouts last week

My goal is to get down to a healthy body weight, get top condition and build functional/lean strength and muscle. To start with, I am working particularly with kettlebells. I've researched quite a bit, and of course, I've looked for an exercise regimen that will fit into my lifestyle and the demands of my job. I find it extremely difficult to find time to get to the gym. I had set grander goals before: I wanted to work toward doing triathlons. However, I believe I was fooling myself. I'm not a runner or a biker - I love swimming - but right now I don't have time to get to the pool - perhaps over the summer.

So, right now, I'm focusing on the benefits of working out with kettlebells.

I had trouble finding a focus in the beginning. But, after research, I think I've found a methodology that makes sense.

There are several organizations that sponsor kettlebell competitions and technique training. I also have a local resource, Jeff Martone, of Tactical Athlete, who is a friend and has given me guidance. I took a training class with him on technique a couple of years ago.

I'm trying to build toward being able to perform repetitions for 10 minutes for the clean and jerk and the snatch.

I've included the following exercises in my routine:

swings (3 to 5 sets) for as many reps as possible - interspersed  between other exercises;
cleans
jerks
clean/jerk
snatch

I use weights that are between 70 and 90 percent of my maximum lifting ability.

I have been performing sets each day for a week.

My weight has gone down a pound, and I can fell the burn in all my muscles.

I will add the Turkish Get up as I go forward.

Finally, I'm using yoga to develop flexibility and strength as well as develop breathing techniques.

Keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment